8 steps for giving your cat liquid medicine
Giving liquid medicine to your cat or kitten can be a challenge. Luckily, there are a few simple steps you can take to make the process easier for both you and your cat.
Steps for Giving Your Cat Liquid Medicine
- Find a quiet, well-lit area where your cat can feel secure.
- Shake the medication bottle as directed before each use.
- Wrap your cat in a towel or fleece to help them feel more comfortable.
- Position your cat in the crook of your arm (facing away from you) to help keep them from backing away.
- Use one hand to gently, but firmly, hold your cat under the chin.
- With your other hand, gently insert the dropper or syringe into your cat’s mouth by their cheek.
- Squeeze the dropper or depress the plunger to administer the medicine directly into your cat’s mouth, aiming to deposit the liquid near the back of your cat’s tongue.
- Reward your cat with wet food or treats after dosing to help them form a positive association with the experience.
Other Tips for Giving Your Cat Liquid Medication
- Always check with your veterinarian to see if it’s safe to give your cat’s medicine with food.
- Have the proper amount of medication (as prescribed by your veterinarian) drawn up and ready. Most liquid medication comes with a syringe to help administer the correct amount.
- Ask your veterinarian if this approach is appropriate for the particular medicine prescribed.