Advantage™ XD for cats

It can be a challenge to give cats the regular treatments they need to protect them from fleas. Advantage XD for cats helps lessen the stress with an easy-to-apply topical solution that offers two months of flea protection in a single application — without a prescription. 

Product collection of Advantage™ XD for small cat and large cat with two-months duration icon and flea icon

Next-generation flea prevention for cats 

  • green icon of shield protection and check mark
    Sourced from nature

    Spinetoram, the exclusive active ingredient in Advantage XD for cats, is derived from soil microbes that were found to be effective against fleas. 

  • green icon of two-months duration calendar
    Lasts 2X longer than the monthly competition 

    Advantage XD for cats starts working in as little as 30 minutes to 4 hours. It continues killing fleas for two months, which outlasts the typical six-week flea life cycle and prevents reinfestations. 

  • green icon of antibiotics within a no symbol.
    No pill or prescription required 

    Advantage XD for cats is a convenient, over-the-counter topical treatment that kills fleas through contact, so they don’t have to bite your cat to die. 

  • green icon of an adult cat and small kitten.
    Formulated for kittens and adult cats 

    Advantage XD is an effective flea treatment for kittens and cats 8 weeks and older and weighing 1.8 pounds or more. 

Owner and cat looking at each other with two-months duration icon

Why two months of flea prevention for cats matters 

Indoor and outdoor cats alike can get fleas, and a single flea can lay up to 50 eggs in one day. Advantage XD for cats starts working in as little as 30 minutes to 4 hours and kills adult fleas through contact before they have a chance to lay eggs. One treatment remains effective for two months, outlasting the typical six-week flea life cycle.  

Learn more about the flea life cycle >

Flea protection for cats that outlasts the competition 

 Duration of Advantage™ XD vs Cheristin® for cats, frontline ® plus, Revolution ® and Petarmor ® plus.

Advantage™ XD applicator with 15 percent spinetoram active ingredient text

Spinetoram for cats: A tested and proven ingredient 

Each tube of fragrance-free Advantage XD for cats contains 15% spinetoram, the exclusive active ingredient. The remaining 85% are liquids that help the product spread over your cat’s skin to kill fleas. Spinetoram — which is derived from soil microbes and has received a Green Chemistry Challenge Award1 — is also used in Cheristin® for cats. But Advantage XD’s exclusive formulation lasts longer than Cheristin®, requiring reapplication after eight weeks compared to the recommended four weeks for Cheristin®. Plus, each tube of Advantage XD is even easier to open and apply. 

See the product label >

Find the right fit for your cat 

Whether you have a tiny kitten or a full-grown cat, there's an Advantage XD made just for them.  Advantage XD for cats is available over the counter in 1-packs (2 months of protection) and 2-packs (4 months of protection).

  • Small cat: 8 weeks and older weighing between 1.8 and 9 pounds 
  • Large cat: 8 weeks and older and weighing more than 9 pounds 

How to apply Advantage™ XD for cats 

1. How to open

Remove one applicator tube from the tray. Hold applicator tube in an upright position and open applicator tube by twisting the nozzle tip.

2. How to apply

Part the hair on the neck at the base of the head until the skin is visible. Place the tip of the tube directly above the skin and squeeze the tube 2-4 times to expel the contents of the tube directly on the skin.

3. Where to apply

For best results, apply at the base of the head, not between shoulder blades. Avoid getting the product in your cat’s eyes or mouth. Treatment at the base of the head will minimize the opportunity for the cat to directly lick the product.

Watch how easy it is to apply Advantage™ XD for cats. 

Top questions about Advantage™ XD 

1US EPA Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge. Designing Green Chemicals Award. 2008 

Advantage, Elanco and the diagonal bar logo are trademarks of Elanco or its affiliates. Other product names are trademarks of their respective owners.