Do not have contact or allow children to have contact with the area treated with Advantage® XD for cats until completely dry. See product label for more information.
Advantage® XD for cats starts killing fleas in 30 minutes to 4 hours. See product label for more information.
There is no expiration date required on the packaging by the EPA for Advantage® XD for cats. We recommend the product should be kept in its original packaging and stored as directed on the product label.
You can use Advantage® XD for cats on kittens or cats 8 weeks of age and older and weighing 1.8 pounds or more. See product label for more information.
Applying Advantage® XD for the prevention and treatment of fleas to your feline friend is easy and convenient. Before applying, check the weight range and minimum age on the package to choose the appropriate product for your cat.
How to apply Advantage® XD for cats:
- Remove one applicator tube from the tray and hold applicator tube in an upright position.
- Open applicator tube by twisting the nozzle tip.
- Part the hair on the neck at the base of the head until the skin is visible. Place the tip of the tube directly above the skin and squeeze the tube 2-4 times to expel the contents of the tube directly on the skin. For best results, apply at the base of the head, not between shoulder blades. Avoid getting the product in your cat’s eyes or mouth. Treatment at the base of the head will minimize the opportunity for the cat to directly lick the product.
- Discard empty applicator tube in the trash.
For more detailed instructions, watch our application video.
Advantage® XD topical solution is labeled for the prevention and treatment of flea infestations. It kills fleas through contact, so fleas do not have to bite your cat to die. With oral flea medications, fleas have to bite your cat and ingest the medication before they are killed.
Advantage XD® for cats and Advantage® II for cats contain different active ingredients, kill fleas in different ways and have different treatment frequencies. Advantage® XD offers two months of prevention and treatment of fleas in a single application and Advantage® II offers one month of prevention and treatment of fleas in a single application.
No, they are different products with different active ingredients.
Spinetoram, the active ingredient in Advantage® XD for cats, was developed from soil microbes that were found to be effective against fleas and has received a Green Chemistry Challenge Award1. Potential side effects of Advantage® XD include application site reactions such as hair loss; greasy, clumping or matting hair; or redness, inflammation and itching. Other side effects such as inactivity, vomiting and lack of appetite have also been reported. If these or any other side effects occur, consult your veterinarian, your cat’s healthcare expert. For technical assistance or to report a side effect, call Elanco at 888-545-5973. See product label for more information.
Advantage® XD for cats contains an exclusive active ingredient called spinetoram. The primary target of action of spinetoram on insects is an activation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors [nAChRs]. Some action is also provided by spinosyns binding to GABA receptors. This overall effect leads to involuntary muscle contractions and tremors resulting from activation of motor neurons. Prolonged spinetoram-induced hyperexcitation results in prostration and paralysis resulting in death of fleas.1 See product label for more information.
1Paarlberg, Tandy et al. 2017. “Effectiveness and residual speed of flea kill of a novel spot on formulation of spinetoram (Chersitin) for cats.” Parasites & Vectors, 10:59.
No, you cannot split tubes of Advantage® XD for cats between multiple cats. To successfully prevent and treat fleas, cats must be treated with their own dose of Advantage® XD. Follow label directions for application. Off-label use of EPA products is a violation of federal law and cannot be recommended by Elanco. See product label for more information.
No, do not use Advantage® XD for cats on dogs. Please follow label directions for the application of our flea products. Off-label use of EPA products is a violation of federal law and cannot be recommended by Elanco. See product label for more information.
Do not bathe your cat or allow them to get wet for at least 24 hours after applying Advantage® XD. See product label for more information.
Do not contaminate water, food or feed by storage or disposal of Advantage® XD.
- Storage: Store in original package in a cool dry place inaccessible to children and animals.
- Disposal: Call your local solid waste agency or equivalent organization for disposal instructions. Unless otherwise instructed place in trash. Never pour unused product down the drain or on the ground.
- Container Handling:
- If empty: Non-refillable container. Do not reuse this container. Place in the trash, or offer for recycling if available.
- If partly filled: Call your local solid waste agency for disposal instructions. Never place unused product down any indoor or outdoor drain.